Really just something to help blogs recognize bloggers they like and get other readers to check out some blogs they may not already follow. I actually go through my favorite blogs to find what they read. If I like reading your stuff, then in all likelihood I'll probably like the blogs you follow with a passion. (Exemption being when the blog is predominately about pushing products...often they'll just push other blogs that do the same. I do follow one or two run blogs that seems to have 10 sponsored posts for every 1 regular post from them. Good writing is why I still read the few blogs that follow that pattern.)
Anyways, I do love a good award that encourages random facts! I love reading other bloggers posts where they just list random stuff mainly because it's fun to get a little insight into their worlds without a whole lot of narrative. Some people are good at narrative, and some aren't. But I always love a good sharing session that doesn't make me feel nosy.
This LIEBSTER award was given to me by Taylor from Running Across the Pond, thanks Tay! I googled the award just to see what other explanations I could find for the origins of the award and the first blog that came up gave a great description: "The Liebster award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. What is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome." That's a paragraph taken straight from the blog We Loved Here. (The link takes you to the post where they got the award as well.)
So yes, check out her blog. She even has lots of tips about wedding planning in the UK, what it's like to marry a British guy, handling the job process in the UK and lots of other random topics outside of that stuff.
1. Thank and link back to the blogger who presented you with the award.
2. List 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions you were asked.
4. Write 11 questions for your nominees.
5. Present a Liebster blog award to 2-5 other bloggers.
11 Random facts about me:
1. I am not too keen on the idea of pregnancy and having the babies. HOWEVER, I do absolutely relate to pregnant women and can talk about anything health-wise with them and connect on that level. I am never bored talking about pregnancy. If anything my Crohn's Disease has a lot of freaky similarities to pregnancy issues, which I won't go into here. But I certainly have recommended a lot of remedies for pregnant friends in the past because of the issues I've dealt with having Crohn's.
2. Downward Dog is extremely difficult for me to do for longer than 30 seconds. I have twigs for arms.
3. When we were kids and moved into a new house in Minnesota, my parents let me and my sister decide what color we should paint our rooms. Up until that point, in my head, I always imagined that my favorite color was black or pink, but for some reason that day I said my favorite color was purple. This pissed my sister off because she said that was her favorite color and a big fight ensued. Well I got the purple room and she chose green. To this day, purple is my favorite color ever and if I didn't love wearing black so much, I'd probably be decked out in purple. My room here in NY is purple and so is a lot of my furniture, luggage, shoes, purses, and nail varnish. When I want to win a fight, I go all the f* out.
4. Taylor's random facts got me thinking about music...of which I can't honestly recommend anything to you. If you read Miranda Hart's book "Is It Just Me?" I think one of the chapters is all about knowing nothing about music, having a few favorite oldies and just in general loving one-hit wonders and pop music in general. That chapter perfectly describes me. I am not fashionable at all when it comes to music. My main things I listen to outside of general pop music is John Mayer (only artist who I've followed from the beginning...and I don't think that it's cool to admit to liking him, currently...cause let's be real, he's acting a bit wacky these days. Don't care. If you've ever seen him in concert he's MAGICAL.) I also admit to owning several compilations of Rat Pack music. Give me Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, and Dean Martin any day of the week. That goes for modern musicians singing music from that era. Love me some Buble and Jamie Cullum.
5. I enjoy several kinds of moderately expensive whiskies, scotches, and cigars. I blame DC for these tastes.
6. I'm obsessed with pit bulls, the dog breed. We owned one for years, Hannah (or Hannah-Bear) and it wasn't till I moved to DC and worked with a dog walking company did I learn about breed stereotypes and how horrible pit bulls can be perceived. The first dog I'll get when I have the place and the money will be a rescued pit bull. I mean, how cute is this:
|Such a princess.|
|In the winter, she legitimately liked wearing clothes because she was quite sensitive to cold weather.|
7. I currently oven somewhere around 250-300 books that I have not read yet. I used to use libraries all the time, but then I worked in book retail for 4 years (Barnes and Noble College, Barnes and Noble, Borders) and developed the habit of using my discount because "oh this looks good...and I know I want to read it at some point. Might as well buy it now." Or I just got a lot of mass market paperbacks for free. Some day I will finish reading them all, damnit. Course that hasn't stopped me from buying more. On my recent trip to London, I brought back 6 new books and only a tiny bit of chocolate. Clearly, I have issues.
8. Doctor Who and Buffy will forever remain my favorite TV shows of all time. And Veronica Mars comes a close third.
9. I've had Crohn's since I was 14 and it wasn't until I was 28 (last October) that I actually met another person with the disease.
10. If you had just met me, you'd be shocked to know how many times I've been naked or half naked in front of people. Streaking was practically a requirement to graduate from my university...everyone had to do it at some point. And my roommates and I just happened to enjoy doing it often. Sometimes one was just drunk enough to have to walk, not run...and possibly need to sit down....at midnight in the science building. Then explain to the nice security campus officer that, yes, we are fine and on our way back to our clothes now thankyouverymuch. Additionally, while at university, I also acted in a play in my underwear. That my parents came to see. They were very proud. Why can't I put these things on my resume?
11. Between the ages of 12-16 I went through a very odd "goth" period. I tried to wear black all the time, was desperate to dye my hair black (thanks for not allowing that Mom!), and listened to metal and angry rock music. Sadly, I was too happy, smiley, bubbly to be accepted into the goth crowd. Yes, I actually smiled too much. At one point when I was 16, I was washing all my black clothes and bit of bleach accidentally got in (highly suspicious, Mother) and ruined ALL of my clothes. I just said f* it after that, and my mom has hardly contained her excitement anytime I wear something of color since then.
Questions from Taylor:
1. What character from a book/movie/TV show do you feel you are most like and why?
Jess (Zooey Deschanel) on New Girl. Mainly because I kind be an awkward human being that does weird things like sing my emotions and can't talk to boys like the adult I am.
2. If you were given the chance to live (safely) in outer space would you go? Why or why not?
Yes! Because that would definitely be an extreme kind of travel, which I love to do. Also it'd be fun to see all the ways to live up there in space. What's space food like? Where's the bathroom? Can I go exploring? I would totally be into that. Which is also why I'd like to take this opportunity to enter my name into the hat for the next Doctor Who companion.
3. What's your favorite kind of sandwich and what toppings do you add to it?
Kind of lame, but grilled chicken slices with avocado, red onion and a bit of salsa on top. Yum!...if I could eat any of that fibrous material right now, I totally would...stupid Crohn's.
4. What was your longest plane journey and where did you go?
9 hours and off to London. Never been farther and that flight was only 9 hours because we took a long route because of weather. Normally a trip to London from the east coast of the US is about 7 hours or just under.
5. Do you prefer spontaneity or plans and schedules?
When I travel or am on vacation I prefer spontaneity and don't like to plan anything...but that's because it my daily life I prefer LOTS of plans and scheduling...which usually doesn't end up going like I want.
6. What would you name the 8th Harry Potter book if you were writing it?
Harry Potter and the Aurora Years (but seriously...how awesome would that be?!)
7. Who taught you to ride a bicycle and do you remember learning?
I do not remember learning but most likely my Dad or my Mom...I definitely wouldn't have let my older brothers teach me something like that. They would have let me fall and left me for DEAD. Brothers are evil when you're a kid. Now they're okay.
8. What were the last items you purchased at the grocery store?
Basil, lemon, tomatoes, strawberries and shortcake. Made dinner and dessert for my Mom and sister last night.
9. If you made a time capsule for you to open in 10 years, what items (at least 5) would you put in it?
My journal, my favorite non-fiction book "The New Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz, my flip cam with some videos on it from me and my sister (rapid fire 20 question game), Twinkies to see if they last, a picture of me and my family to see how we've changed. It sounds kind of conceited to have a lot of focus on myself, but it encourages me to see how I grow and change over time.
10. Do you prefer firm pillows or squishy pillows?
I prefer a lot of squishy pillows piled up to make them almost-but-not-quite firm.
11. What's something you've done that was so completely out of your comfort zone?
I was in a play years ago where I had to make out with another actress on stage. It was extremely difficult, especially since I hadn't been in a serious relationship and the director telling me to "kiss her like you'd kiss your boyfriend" was of no help whatsoever.
For this award, I nominate:
Stephanie from Close Encounters of the Librarian Kind
Natacia from Treks and the City
Caraline from Dancing with Myself
**All bloggers I know in real life, love their blogs, and want to use this award to peer-pressure them into blogging more muwahahahaha!
Here's what I want to know about you:
1. Has there been a book that you've had intense feelings about either of intense rage or overwhelming happiness? If so, what book?
2. Where in the world do you want to go next on vacation and where would you never want to visit?
3. What would you make for dinner in order to seduce your celebrity crush?
4. What talent do you wish you had?
5. What's the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?
6. Someone is hitting on you in a bar, what's your best shut-'em down line?
7. What was your first date like?
8. How did you find out about sex? Have you...found out about how babies are made...? Oh dear...
9. If you had to pick one place to live forever, where would that be?
10. What is something that you always keep in your purse or bag?
11. What's the most interesting food you've eaten in the world?
Hope they get swept up in the love of randomness!!